Église Saint-Médard à Pâlis


    Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/pota6871/public_html/wp-content/themes/office-tourisme/content-fiche.php on line 666

    Notice: Trying to get property 'label' of non-object in /home/pota6871/public_html/wp-content/themes/office-tourisme/content-fiche.php on line 666


  • Free

Attested since the 12th century, the church was set on fire by pillars in 1576. The only preserved chapel was restored and then enlarged in 1735. The church was finally rebuilt in the 19th century, retaining some elements from the 12th and 16th centuries. Built in chalk on these ancient foundations, it has an elongated plan, with a nave with three naves and a porch tower. The church retains wrought iron choir and altar enclosures. There is also a statuette from the 16th century, which represents a young man in a squire’s costume, wearing a crowned chapel in the Carolingian way, which local tradition identifies with Saint Louis but which would more surely be Charlemagne. Among the remarkable works, let us also point out a shrine in gilded wood in the form of a chapel containing the relics of Saint Lucide or Lucile. The glass heritage If the sources still attest in 1861 to the presence of a few fragments of stained glass from the 16th century, the current windows date from the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. Five of them are the work of Louis Hugot, a glass painter living in Troyes. He thus created Saint Médard blessing Clotaire, Saint Georges, Saint Louis, Saint Eloi and Notre-Dame de la Salette. The others are made by Lorraine glassmakers Janin and Benoit. Source: https://www.cite-vitrail.fr/721-50-sites-a-visiter-aube.htm Church open to the public every day from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.